Fair Hill Nature and Environmental
Minutes from the Board of Director's Meeting
June 26, 2006
(Unofficial - no quorum)
Dr. Del Smith,
Mario Gangemi called the meeting to order
at 6:14 P.M.
Springfest Follow up:
- We were bumped to May 12 by the Park. Fair Hill International requested
the same weekend. We do not
have the Ed Walls Center
- How can we move more of the activities to the Nature
- Keep non-FHNC activities at the Park (Car Show,
Lawnmower Races, Food, Crafters)
- Have free Hayride back and forth
- Consider having childrens’ activities here
- What we liked about Springfest:
- Plant sale was an overwhelming success
- Concessions were easy, made about $1,000
- Asking for parking donation was better than requiring
- Car Show has real potential for next year
- Ice cream was good.
- Walk a thon had real potential, had there been more
participation. Make it a Boy
- We made money
- Time range were good
- Plastic tables were good
- What we didn’t like:
- Attendence was poor
- Must improve on PR
- Lessons learned:
- PR/advertising is critical. Biggest single problem.
- Need a cleanup crew
- Secure plants earlier
- Must have larger board and member help for a
- The Nature
Center is missing all of the children’s scissors. Holly believes that someone
borrowed them, but cannot remember who/when.
- All Board Members are highly encouraged to approach
friends and neighbors to recruit new Board Members. We desperately need the help.
- Mario suggested that we run a capital campaign with the
goal of raising $10,000.
- Ought to be able to make an educated decision in July
about how much of the line of credit we can pay off.
- Need help mowing lawn for the next three weeks. Mower in barn, gas in barn. Mowing must be done each weekend.
Treasurer's Report/Finance Committee:
No report. Bill was not in attendance
banking account is approximately $27,000
Line of Credit is approximately $16,000 (at cap)
Strategic Planning Follow Up: [New
- Ralph Young has two candidates, Mario will follow up.
- Dan Speakman’s rant needs to be incorporated into this
area. Run an ad in the
paper. Recruit motivated
- Rick Lonie is a prospect. Would like to attend a meeting. May be able to help us with our
presentation to the School Board.
We will need a much more specific budget presentation in December
to justify a higher budget number.
Need to have a meeting ahead of time to understand clearly what is
needed. Need to have a
discussion with transportation director as well.
- Del has a potential candidate.
- Need to elect officers for this year
- To be held Nov. 11 at the Ed Walls Center.
- Need to have Board Members successfully solicit 5
donations of food or silent
auction items by the end of July.
Failure to do so will result in having to successfully solicit 10
- We want to move towards running the gambling
renting/purchasing gambling supplies. Dealing done by Board members/volunteers.
Nature School Report: Holly Hannum
- Have a formal letter from Wayne saying that we cannot
put names on things anymore.
Cannot continue the memorial garden.
- Eagle projects:
- Move Nature Center sign (big white sign) back to where
it was by the well. Need to
fix the sponsor board.
Andrew Falkoski is doing this for his Eagle Scout project. He will also construct a fire
- Ramp that leads to platform near pond and
- Goose was saved by “Nathan.” Goose was tied up in fishing string and bobber.
- Would like to hire a fifth teacher to the staff but
need to review the budget prior to making an offer.
- Holly has been selected for Jury Duty. Sept 18-Jan 15th. This will be crippling to the
Nature Center. Mario is
considering asking for a waiver based on Holly being critical to
operations of this non-profit organization.
- Making science “inventions” due to rain during
camp. Currently have “stills”
that use the sun to evaporate and purify water.
- Need to evaluate budget and staff issues.
- Still cannot print to the copier upstairs from the main
- Cold weather affects performance of copier. It shuts itself down if it can’t
boot up in a certain amount of time.
- Need to assess all capital needs and Mario will pursue.
We have the following programs on our
- Have someone to do a bee program, but it needs to be
Community Relations: Lisa Perkins (for Ron) (Habitat Editor)
- Need articles for Habitat.
Next Meeting: July 26, 2006 at 6:00 P.M., at the Nature Center.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:33 P.M.
Respectfully submitted by Daniel Speakman