Minutes from the Board of Director's Meeting
June 11, 2003
Clower, Mario Gangemi, Doug Hill, Larry Klevans, Dan Schneckenburger, Barbara
Dan Schneckenburger called the meeting to order at 6:38 P.M.
The minutes from the May Board meeting were approved.
President’s Report: Dan Schneckenburger
Dan Sc.would like to develop a letterhead with the names of the current board members on it.
Dan Sc. would like to see us raise $10,000 between the Fox Trot Ball, Special Appeals, and the FHNEC Video presentation to corporations. He will put this in his report each month from now on, through the end of the year, to see if we are on target.
Finance Committee: Larry KIevans
Financial Report as of May 31, 2003
1. In May 2003 expenses($14,852) exceeded income($14,461) by $393. The majority of income items were $880 in donations, $977 from United Way, $800 in Membership dues, $278 in Grants, $4371 in program fees, and $7155 for summer camp.
2. Major expenses for May 2003 were $11676 for staff wages, (3 paydays ) $1005 for payroll taxes, $1344 for office expenses, $495 for accounting and $300 for capital equipment.
3 As of May 31, 2003 our Year to Date Income (YTD) totals $ 50,059 vs a budget of $45,712, while YTD expenses total $41152 vs a budget of $45712. Thus, our YTD net income is $8.907.
4. The Fund Balance as of May 31, 2003 was $24,905 This decrease (from $25,153 on April 30) is a result of the negative cash flow in May. April and May are good income months as tuition for summer camp is collected during these two months, whereas June and July are weak months.
Larry Klevans, Treasurer
Program Committee: Barb Snyder
June 13 - Bees
June 14 - Fair Hill Training Center
July 18-29 - Cecil County Fair
July 19 - Busy Beavers
August 8 - Skipjack Martha Lewis
August 16 - Stargazing
September 12 - Fox Chasing
September (date to be determined) – Fox Trot Ball
October 11 – Fox Trot Ball
October 17 - Hayride
October 18 - Leaf Walk
November 15 - Wreath Making
December 6 - Santa Hayride
December 11- Board/Staff Party
Barb said that she has put us on a web site called volunteermatch.com. She has gotten several hits, with offers of volunteer help. She suggests that we keep the e-mail addresses of volunteers to contact when we have an event to organize. Barb would like to see if Pat could organize this. Dan will look at the website and coordinate with Hinda about how to make this a reality.
Barb suggested that we spruce up our CC Fair effort. People don’t stop and see our table. We need to think about what we could do to increase the interest in our table. Barb will have a sign-up sheet for the fair next time.
Spring Fest: Larry Klevans
There is a total of $18,000 to split between the groups.
There was a feeling that FHNEC did not supply the same amount of support to the function as Upper Bay. It will continue as planned again next year.
Nomination Committee: Dennis Clower
The board members whose terms are completed this spring are Bob Carroll, Bill Lucas, and Phyllis Kilby.
Rick Waterhouse contacted Fr. Sam Hartman about board membership. He is definitely interested in working on environmental issues. He is not certain that he can commit to it this year, but would want to join next year. He wants to know more about the time commitments. Rick will talk to him further.
Restructuring was discussed by Dennis. Donna Gerst’s suggestions were to have a lean board, involve other members on committees to develop new board members for the future, and have people work for limited times (such as is done with Spring Fest).
Dennis reported that Michael Garrity volunteered for board membership. Dennis is inclined to ask him to work on a limited basis – the calendar.
Board members can be added at any time during the year, so we will proceed with adding replacements as needed.
Dan Sc. still would like to see an Honorary Board to list on letterhead, including names that would draw recognition.
The committee will meet again before the next Board meeting to discuss which names to put on an honorary board and which names to delete. Dan Sc. will contact non-active board members to see what their intentions are. Dennis will contact current Honorary Board members to see what their feelings are about continuing.
Eileen Butler, associated with Delaware Nature Center (302 239 2334 x132) has shown some interest in the board. The committee will contact her.
Nature School Report: Holly Hannum (Larry Klevans)
School classes ended June 9. Pat will invoice CCPS for the Grade 1 classes upon her return from vacation on June 16. The total will $2,532.
Camp begins on June 16. 214 are registered. Five camps are full so far.
Mario will speak to Charlie Hayes, the leader of the Cecil Soil Conservation group, to assure them that their $9,000 contribution was not overlooked and that they are a business partner. The Board asks that Pat contact Nancy to find out if a letter of request for a Business Partnership was sent to the Cecil Soil Conservation group.
Personnel Committee: No report.
Larry Klevans has submitted his resignation as a board member and Treasurer, effective one year from now. We need to start recruiting a new treasurer.
FHNEC Grants/Personnel Committee: No report.
Special Appeal : Mario Gangemi
A request has gone out. Larry will track the responses as they come in to the Nature Center.
Public Relations: Doug Hill
The Buzz has gone out.
There is no other news to report. Doug will request an update from members on their contacts with the video.
Doug will pursue our representation in the News Journal Summer Camps bulletin, Cecil Whig’s publication (see Barb), and Delmarva publication.
Hinda requested a meeting with the acting head of Membership, Dennis.
Buildings and Grounds: Mario Gangemi
Doug mentioned that the CC Arts Council has their members each take a table, which they must sell or pay for themselves. This might be an idea for the Fox Trot Ball. Dan Sc. will call a meeting of the committee to plan this.
Barb said that there was no data collection done on the contacts made for Spring Fest, for volunteers, sponsors, etc. Barb will try to undertake the organization of this information.
Rick would like to plant a pumpkin garden, from which members could choose a free pumpkin at the fall family event being planned. Barb will contact Wayne to find out if and where we could do this. Holly should also be contacted to consult on this.
Dan Sc. requested a reporting in the minutes of attendance at Board meetings by board members in 2003. The number after a name indicates meetings attended:
|Brown, Josh 1||Hannum, Holly 4||Simpers, Nancy 4|
|Campbell, Jim 0||Hill, Doug 4||Smith, Hinda 4|
|Snyder, Barbara 3||Clower, Dennis 3||KIevans, Larry 4|
|Speakman, Dan 4||Taccone, Rebecca 0||Gangemi, Mario 5|
|Schneckenburger, Dan 4||Waterhouse, Rick 6|
Next Meeting: July 8, 6:30 P.M., at the nature center. However, there will not be a meeting in August.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 P.M.