Minutes from the Board of Director's Meeting
April 8, 2003
Carroll, Mario Gangemi, Holly Hannum, Larry Klevans, Dan Schneckenburger,
Nancy Simpers, Hinda Smith, Dan Speakman, Rick Waterhouse
Dan Schneckenburger called the meeting to order at 6:30 P.M.
The minutes from the March Board meeting were approved.
Barb Snyder (reported by Dan Sc. and Hinda)
Frog Frenzy had great attendance, over 100 people, even with bad weather.
A Harvest Festival is planned for October 18. Pumpkin carving, scarecrow stuffing, Rick is performing. This is in conjunction with BEPAC.
April 12 - Wildflower Walk
May 3 - Spring Fest
May 9 - Conservation Gardening
June 13 - Bees
June 14 - Fair Hill Training Center
July 18-29 - Cecil County Fair
July 19 - Busy Beavers
August 8 - Skipjack Martha Lewis
August 16 - Stargazing
September 12 - Fox Chasing
September (date to be determined) – Fox Trot Ball
October 17 - Hayride
October 18 - Leaf Walk
November 15 - Wreath Making
December 6 - Santa Hayride
December 11- Board/Staff Party
Spring Fest: Barb Snyder
The next meeting is April 9, at 4:30 at Booth Street.
Nancy suggested that we pre-sell ride tickets so that money would be earned even in the case of bad weather.
The raffle tickets are being sold. FHNEC has 100 tickets left to sell.
Finance Committee: Larry KIevans
Financial Report as of March 31, 2003
1. In March 2003 expenses($6738) exceeded income ($3091) by $3,647 The majority of income items were $300 in donations, $1430 in Membership dues, and $1347 in program fees
2. Major expenses for March 2003 were $4187 for staff wages, $418 for payroll taxes, $470 for supplies and milage and $1160 for office expenses.
3. As of March 31, 2003 our Year to date Income (YTD) totals $ 20,624 vs a budget of $27,427, while YTD expenses total $16,454 vs a budget of $27634. Thus, our YTD net income is $4169.
4. The Fund Balance as of March 31 2003 was $20,227 This is decrease from $23,866 on Feb. 28. This is a result of the negative cash flow in March and a transfer of $2000 to Springfest. The funds were deposited in the Nature Center's account because the checks were addressed to the Nature Center. At the end of Springfest we will receive 1/2 of these funds.
5. The County Commissioners were briefed about our request for $5000 from the County for their 2003-2004 FY.
Larry Klevans, Treasurer
We ended last year about $2000 in the red. It would be good to improve on this by the end of this year.
Nature School Report: Holly Hannum
Chris Haight is a new teacher, filling in for Taffy. She will stay on after Taffy returns. Nathan Graham will also be trained as a sub., as will Janice Hokuf.
$4500 has been invoiced from the Soil Conservation District.
First graders due this week are not coming due to weather. The extended school year will allow for programs in June.
31 campers registered for summer camps. Members did not get first shot at spaces. We must rectify that next year.
Envirothon training is April 16.
Wood was donated by the Koremas, who have a furniture-making business. This will be used for crafts at camp, etc.
The after school program is going. Kids will put up bluebird boxes at Terumo and other locations.
A Whig reporter, Cosbi Simmons, will be coming to spend a day at FHNEC as a school student. She will write a story for the paper on April 22. Bob suggested that we have a cake that day, since it is the FHNEC’s birthday.
Bill Lucas is supposed to come on Thursday to show co-workers from ATK how the FHNEC school program works. This may be rescheduled if the school groups cancel.
FHNEC Grants/Personnel Committee: Hinda Smith
Pat has signed up for the Access course. It would be good to have an expert in Access here when Pat first starts using it, to coach. Hinda will have someone from the Tech. Office of CCPS to coach.
Hinda would like a list of questions that the staff has, about the new computer system, so these can be answered.
Dan Sp. is also available for Holly or staff to contact about a problem.
Special Appeal : Mario Gangemi
Mario had a question about current membership: should we include them in a special appeal? Bob said that we should.
He will work on the special appeal letter soon.
Hinda asked if we do much soliciting in the western Newark area. This is a possible new venue.
Public Relations: Doug Hill (reported by Dan Sc.)
It would be good if each board member could have a copy of the video. It is available on the Internet if you have a high speed connection. It can also be downloaded.
Membership: Bob Carroll
Bob suggested that we keep records of volunteer time by members, for future use by a director. Pat was very receptive to the report and its suggestions.
Bob brought up the use of the direct mailer, which was discussed last time. It would cost us $500 for an ad.
Membership dues stand at $5000, which means we have received half of the budget in a quarter of the year.
Holly suggested that we put a sticker on the newsletter, when it is sent to a member whose membership is about to run out, so they would be reminded. There could also be a tear-off .
There will be follow-up letters at three months and at six months, for those not renewing, sent out by Pat.
Buildings and Grounds: Mario Gangemi
President’s Report: Dan Schneckenburger
Dan Sc. has sent out a memo to the Nominating Committee about their work. The committee will be meeting for the first time this Thursday, April 10.
Dan Sc. attended the Kim Klein seminar. Most non-profits are in financial trouble, compared to FHNEC. Dan will share this information with the board.
Suzan will not have her daughter’s wedding here. Dan talked to DNR and they had no problem with us having events here in off hours.
Fox Trot Ball
A band is being pursued. Mario is speaking to caterers in the area. Chef d’Jour is one he will speak to, then Buck’s, and Lisa Welsh. Decorating will be tried in a different way. Maybe local nurseries could be asked about setting up displays, instead of the board and helpers setting up the plants. Volunteer help will be investigated, such as the Boy Scouts. We will need a liquor license, $45. We would buy the liquor and have a bartender as in the past. Insurance is an issue, since we will be serving alcohol. Start-up costs of $1000 are available from Conectiv. AHH (Josh Brown) has said they will help with sponsorship. Mario is thinking about having a silent auction, which he has seen at other similar events. Dan Sc. suggested that we have only about ten items or so, because of space constraints. Mario will keep it small for the first time it is held. We will try to get ticket prices lower, which may be possible with sponsorships from Conectiv and others. October 11 has been chosen for this event. Mario is looking into advertising. JoAnn Dawson will be contacted about carriage rides. The committee will be meeting again.
Elected School Board
Larry discussed the nominating convention and a FHNEC presence at this meeting. We can have four delegates at this meeting. Dennis has agreed to attend. Holly Hannum will also attend. The convention will be at Perryville High School on May 7. We must pay $5 per delegate. If interested, please call Larry Klevans ASAP.
Next Meeting: May 13, 6:30 P.M., at the nature center.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:06 P.M.