BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MEETING FAIR HILL NATURE
CENTER March 11, 2002 6:00 P.M.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
FAIR HILL NATURE CENTER
March 11, 2002
Bob Carroll, JoAnn Dawson, Holly Hannum, Doug Hill, Larry Klevans, Dan Schneckenburger, Nancy Simpers, Barbara Snyder, Rebecca Taccone, Rick Waterhouse, Ralph Young
Vice-President Dan Schneckenburger called meeting to order at 6:10 p.m.
Minutes - stand approved as emailed and mailed. Ralph moved to approve and Rebecca seconded, all approved.
Financial Report: Larry Klevans reported
1. In February 2002 income exceeded expenses by $4825. The majority of income items were $5000 donation from the Ms DuPont, $3145 from United Way of Delaware ( Balanced of 2001 pledges), $1140 from Special Appeals , and $1480 in Membership Dues. Major expenses were $4612, for staff, $852 for office expenses, $642 for the Memorial garden stones, $382 for Liability Insurance and $378 for taxes.
2. The February 1, 2002 Fund Balance was $24,096. The January 31 Fund Balance was $19,290.
3. Year to date Income (YTD) totals $21230 vs. budget of $18643, while YTD expenses total $14676 vs. a budget of $18643.
4. An application for a $5000 grant from the County Government was submitted later this month.
5. In order to reconcile the Petty Cash account we took an additional expenses of $469 last year, reducing our 2001 gain from $2544 to $2095
Program Committee: Barb Snyder reported the following dates have been set for programming (some are not final dates)
Frog Frenzy - April 5, 6:30 p.m.
Need board members for registration and fire
Ask about buying JoAnn's microphone
Backyard Conservation - April 17, 7:00 Soil Conservation will provide a speaker
Board do registration
Wildflower Walk -April 13, 10:00 Doris Anderson & Holly Hannum (rain date?)
No refreshments - give away March for Parks Bottles with water
Landscaping for Wildlife - May 15, 7:00 Carol Krawczyk has been contacted. Janet will be there for introductions
Need board for registration
Butterfly Gardening - June 8, 10:00 a.m. Joe Tropp will speak (suggested we label plants in butterfly garden)
Board do registration
Bees - June 12, 7:00 -Laura Linton has not been asked yet
Seafood Swap -July 17, 6:00 ??? Wine & Cheese???
Fish Walk - July 20, 10:00 Parke John will lead.
Skipjack Cruise - August 9, 6:00 p.m. - Barb call for reservations
Bay Talk - Upper Bay Museum in North East - Aug 14 - 7:00 (could cost 1.00 a person, 3.00 is regular admission charge)
Fox Hunt Talk - Sept 18, 7:00, Erlene Michner
Fox Trot Activity - Sept 21, crab feast - Ralph would work with us. Need to pin down by May and sign contract. Need liquor permit.
Leaf Walk Oct 19 - 2:00 p.m., Hayride 4:00
Stargazing - Nov 13 - 7:00 - will ask Linda Tinsman
Wreath Craft -Nov. 16 10:00, Katherine Straughan and Janet Fallon
Santa Hayride - Dec. 7 - need rain date of Dec. 8
Holiday Party - Dec 11 Bd/Staff Holiday party
Nature School Report: Holly Hannum reported: An important note that I left out of my February report is that we enjoyed having Salisbury University student Andrew Stuhl as an intern in January. He is a junior majoring in biology. He attended programs at six schools with us, hauled equipment, helped with the giant puzzle, and introduced the show. We would love to have him return in the future.
Our first aid and CPR training times have changed. We will now have training on March 18 and 19 at 6pm. Other staff development this month includes Taffy attending Envirothon training with Charlie Hayes on March 1, (We will be training students in aquatics on April 17.) Janet attended teacher training with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation on March 5 and 8. We hosted lunch and a stream study as part of that training on the 8th.
Spring school classes begin on March 14 with Caravel Academy. Our soil program will run through April 9. We have programs for fifteen groups in addition to our grade one to five programs and Home School Day on May 29.
Trail Day will be on March 23rd. We can complete tasks not finished on March 9 when the Scouts were here. I called the Americorps First State Mentor Corps and we are on their schedule. I have no firm commitments from them. Vista has another project for March but they will be here on May 11th. Mentor Corps has no money for summer interns this year. They have a new program available for next year which runs October through September. We would have to agree to pay 15% of the cost of the program,$5,000.00. If we get a match with a graduate student at the U of D then we would split it with them $2,500.00 would get us a full-time employee. They are sending us an application but they already have more applicants than they anticipated.
The summer camp schedule is out. The price reflects a $5 increase for members and a $10 increase for non-members. Other prices were determined by our costs and local competition. Karen is writing a grant to supplement the cost of Bay Camp. Bay Camp is extended to 9 to 3pm. Other new camps include Wilderness Adventure Camp adding a Thursday overnight and Hike and Bike Camp - 9:00 - 11:30 a.m. Lisa will do camp fair at Cecil Manor
Rebecca Taccone prepared a new education program brochure.
Trail Day is March 23. Scouts will come on March 9 for trail day. Holly will talk with DNR to see if we can add to burn pile.
Fundraising: Ralph Young stated that all is going well for SpringFest. Still waiting for 25 year lease from DNR before any moves can be made on building plans for the barn.
Membership: Bob Carroll - is checking on decals for windows from local suppliers. (Needs to say "Member" on bottom). Barb reported that 186 members have a date of 4/2/02 renewal timeframe. Letters have been sent to them for renewal. 185 members have renewed since last November. Members with renewal dates older than 4/2/02 will be deleted from database and will not continue to receive flyers.
Buildings and Grounds: Dan Schneckenburger reported for Jerry Newman: Dan will have a Bush Hog on the 16th to do preliminary work before the 23rd. Need wheelbarrows for trail day on 23rd. Maple tree was cut down today ($450 cost). Holly will use stump for teaching purposes. John Styer will make pens and bowls for sale. Plumbing estimate may be higher than $3500 to include pipes in furnace room and underground. Has contacted insurance agent about subleasing building. Received $500 donation from Rising Sun Lion's club. Sold bluebird boxes at Family Fun day - $50.00. Nancy moved that donation be made to students from Perryville High School Special Ed students to buy materials for bluebird boxes. Bob seconded, all were in favor. Ralph is working on doors for barn. Jerry is resigning from the board - wants to stay on to do building and grounds as a volunteer
Memorial Garden: Barb developed an information sheet - will email to Jerry Hendricks and Jerry Newman to see if they want to add anything or change prices, etc. Need to have information available when asked.
Community Relations: Doug Hill - talked about bulletin being sent out. Very positive feeling from everyone about the publication. Thanks to all for your help in getting started. Alex has finished video - with Dennis' voice-over - will also make CD's. Doug will work on a plan of where to show video (needs help from board - perhaps at a board meeting).
Old Business: Barb submitted application for grant writing from Chase Brooks & Associates. They responded with 76 foundation names from a "Boolean" search. After culling through them, came up with 42 potential matches. Submitted those names to Chase Brooks. Chase Brooks will then write grants to each of the named foundations for $5.50 apiece. Waiting to hear back from them.
Nominating Convention: Ralph, Larry, Dan, Dennis, Nancy nominated six candidates. Two confirmations - Laurie Murphy of Cecil Federal Bank, Hinda Smith, Assistant Principal at Gilpin Manor Elementary School, Dan moved, Nancy seconded, all approved. Janet Wolf - retired teacher (willing to organize golf tournament), Crystal Waters, Karen Aspinwall, former executive director (will be asked by end of week). Dennis also suggested splitting board into working board and advisory board.
(Bob Carroll will be taking sabbatic leave from July 1 through Dec)
Fundraiser Idea: Make a William DuPont room and ask other DuPonts to fund - need to schedule a time for people to talk about past history.
Swat Road Cleanup is scheduled for March 23
Move meeting to: Tuesday.? will poll members.
Ralph moved to adjourn at 7:55 p.m., JoAnn seconded.