BOARD OF DIRECTORS
MONTHLY MEETING: October 8, 2001
Attendees: Larry Klevans, Ralph Young,
Dennis Clower, Jim Campbell, Barb Snyder, Jerry Newman, Chuck Dolor,
Dan Schneckenburger, Doug Hill, Holly Hannum, Nancy Simpers, Bob
Carroll, Rick Waterhouse, Bill Lucas, JoAnn Dawson, Rebecca
President Dennis Clower called meeting to order at 6:02 p.m.
National Audubon Society presentation by Rick Leader, Vice President of Baltimore and Washington, D. C. National Audubon Society: Society has .5 million members. Has gone through a massive reorganization and restructuring. Found that community nature centers were the best place to start with serving communities. Audubon wants centers throughout US to serve. Wanted to emphasize that during the next couple years will start partnering with nature centers. Audubon is working on raising funds to help centers run; centralize insurance, have development directors that would work with each center. Centers would be able to meet together to brainstorm programming and funding needs. Have a statewide board of scientists and fundraisers in place.
Audubon wants to partner with anyone. Wants centers that are actively involved, have meaningful programs. Members of nature centers would evolve into Audubon members. Audubon will handle membership renewals and will claim those names for the second ask. If centers do fund raisers, that money stays at the center level. There would be a 10% auditing fee, because of bookkeeping, insurance, etc.
Curve Foundation, Belden Fund. Put Rick Leader on mailing list.
Minutes: Suzan moved and Nancy seconded that we accept the minutes as written. All in favor.
Financial Report: Larry Klevans. Sept 30, 2001 financial statement. $1350 in board donations to date. Have received enough donations to pay for trees in Memorial Grove. Membership has not done well this year. Projected fund balance for this year is $15,000 to $18,000.
Publicity Committee: Doug Hill. Spoke about the video. Is working on voice over script. Dennis will record script. Video will be ready in rough finished copy for Fox Trot Ball. Holly suggested using stills. That will not be incorporated in time for Fox Trot.
Membership: Bob Carroll. Update on board campaign as of $1265 of our goal of $2000. Has done second mailing to contribute by 11/1/01. On membership, Pat has labels to send out renewals immediately to 153 members.
Rachel Burby called from CCHD about food permit, has one application to enable us to keep it active. There is another form that we need to fill out 20 days before an event.
School Report: Holly Hannum. Started fall forestry, ordered 36 new field guides with a monetary gift from Country Thyme Gardeners. CPR training did not take place due to 9/11 tragedy. Will do in spring. Trail Day 9/15 did well. Spring Trail Day is March 23. Ten microscopes have been serviced so far. Company from Ohio has been servicing. Had home school day 9/23, 5/21 is scheduled for Spring. Stacey Schultz is back on Monday and Friday mornings. Photography, helped with soil erosion table, display by pond. Wants a bigger challenge - will work on mulch from Fox Trot Ball, Sunday November 11, 1-4 p.m. Staff can help with ball on 11/9. Fall Foliage walk on Oct 20. Will represent Nature Center at Woodlawn Site renaming. Need new table for exhibiting (someone sat on table at Cecil County Fair). Janet was very busy at Family Day at the Farm. Waterfowl Festival is same weekend as Fox Trot . Jim Campbell will go down and set it up, Jerry Newman will go on Saturday. Dennis will go on Sunday.
Personnel Committee: Dan Schneckenburger. Committee has convened to come with a position description for a coordinator. Crystal Waters will be interviewed. Job description was distributed. Doug moved we accept the job description with correction of #3 add "New" to environmental programs. Nancy seconded. All approved contract for one year. Dennis would write the actual contract if person is hired.
Buildings and Grounds: Jerry Newman. Building use form was discussed. Suggested putting names and phones as contacts other than Nature Center number. Will put blank for fee. Set up a guideline for what the fee is. Suggested a couple free nights if corporations partner with us. Suzan motioned and JoAnn seconded to accept contract as written except for fee line. All were in favor. Will meet to discuss fees.
Jerry will have tree removed in early December. Bill Preske will take it down. Holly will use stump as table. Bees are gone. Hive was not accepting new queen, Laura took the hive home to settle them down. Will spend approximately $100 to have a bigger hive by next spring. Is getting estimate for heating and air conditioning upgrade.
Program Committee: Suzan Doordan will mail a volunteer list for Fox Trot. We all need to volunteer. All received invitations. Music is set - Jerry and the Juveniles, Buck's Catering is doing food, Woody's will donate some food. All logistics are finished. Need Christmas lights. Suzan will try to get lights from YMCA. Needs artificial trees. Needs trucks.
Talked about Santa Hay ride and Stargazing.
Grants: October 22 meeting at Nature Center, need at least one person from each committee to attend. Have met with Upper Bay Counseling and Support to start Fair Hill Spring Fest on May 11, 2001. Larry will meet with Ralph and Rebecca before 10/22.
Nancy and Doug sent out 25 letters and received $500 from North East Rotary.
At Family Day at the Farm, the Ways gave a $50 donation toward Blue Bird Program.
Next meeting is to be held Monday November 5, 2001 (Different date due to upcoming Fox Trot Ball.